Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Risk: To Take, or Not To Take

It's kind of a bummer having a post like this right after the one from yesterday, but life is real and I mess up. Therefore, this blog is real along with the mistakes. 

Standing in the check out line at the Dollar General today, I noticed a sweet elderly lady standing behind us. Her pretty face was full of beautiful wrinkles and as my eyes met hers, her face lit up with a beautiful, almost toothless smile. 

There was something about that smile. It was as if we had been friends for a long time or like she was genuinely glad to see me. It wasn't a smile from the surface, it felt like a smile from her heart. 

She looked like a survivor of much pain, yet she radiated joy. Maybe her smile was genuine because of the pain. I don't know her situation, nor her heart, but still, there was something so captivating about her smile. 

I thought maybe I should talk with her. Maybe she didn't know about Jesus, and besides it seemed like she would make a sweet friend. But I just couldn't get up my courage. I watched as she paid for her items and briefly sat down beside the door. As we walked outside into the cold, I wished her a merry Christmas. 

But that's it. I didn't say anything else. 

As we went on our way, I saw her walk across the street in the cold. 

Now all I can do for her is pray. I wish now I would have made the effort to be a friend to her. Maybe I could have even taken her to church sometime or brought her out to my house. We could have laughed with each other and every time she smiled I could have seen her sweet joy within. 

I make mistakes and sometimes I'm afraid to pick up that sword called love. I don't know what will happen if I do. It takes risk, and I don't always want to take it. 

I pray for courage and I pray for boldness. God will give me another chance because his grace abounds. Don't do what I did; take the risk. 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely can identify with the struggle: comfort and safety vs. risk and reward. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete