Pages

Monday, August 24, 2015

After All, It's Not About Me

I've always been the kind of person to have lots of dreams and ideas. Growing up, I would frequently plan parties and fun things, dragging my sister along for the ride. In fact, at one point in my childhood, I was so obsessed with planning and dreaming, that I had this desire to constantly be arranging a new event of some sort. I couldn't get enough of it. I don't think it was a bad thing necessarily, but my point is that I dearly love to dream, and even better is a dream come true. Few things are more exhilarating than experiencing what I envisioned.

I feel the culture is constantly dragging me into the current of pursuing what I've dreamed of doing and following my heart. What do I feel? How will this bring fulfilment to me? Will this best serve my long term future? What do I want to do?

Yes, few things are more wonderful and exciting to me than getting to experience a dream - my dream - in its full bloom. But I wonder? Am I missing out on a vastly, undiscovered beauty? What if I would let Jesus make His dreams for me come true? Nothing, no nothing, would be more exhilarating, I am almost sure.

Jesus often gives us dreams and desires so that we can pursue them for His honor and glory. But I've found myself at the point where I am so in love with my dream that I am scarcely willing to be completely ready for whatever it is God might want to call me to, only because I think I have a better plan. Let's be honest, who doesn't want their dream to come true because that's what they've always dreamed of? This in itself is not wrong, but when we come to hold our dreams so tightly that we wouldn't imagine of letting go, something has become skewed in our view of how it all works. It's not about me. Life is not about what I want.

It's all about Jesus. It's about what He has planned.

This is where my dreams must die. Jesus isn't going to force me to embrace His plan for my life, I have to choose it. Yes, He wants me to be dreaming, planning, and envisioning about a better future. Yes, He wants me to ask Him boldly in faith for what I desire. Yet, all this must be done with full surrender to Jesus because of the love I have for Him and the love He has for me.

What it all boils down to, is, can I really trust God? Do I truly believe He is good and has my best in mind? Once I can honestly say "Yes," then I can ask Him in faith to make my desires and dreams a reality. This is not a danger-free place to be in the least, but what is faith without risk? And what is life without faith?

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 11:6

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I love your thoughts! This is something I have been thinking about recently. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to be reminded of that! Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete